Monday, January 9, 2012

Opportunity often hides in strange packages.
Recently diagnosed with prediabetes, I spent the last several months processing the information. At first I blew it off thinking the test results were a fluke. I spent Thanksgiving freely eating sweets at whim.
Alcohol was a close buddy as I consumed several glasses as soon as the sun went down. And bread, my favorite, was a main stable. Yet I was forced to take a sobering view after receiving further results that my glucose level had raised even higher. So additional appointments with the doctor, nutritionist and many episodes of surfing the net, brought me closer to an understanding, it  ain’t a good diagnosis. But it might be reversible. Whew!
As one might expect, I became instantly motivated when reading it can lead to diabetes 2. That carries with it the potential for kidney disease, heart failure, high blood pressure and/or neuropathy. With the hair raised on the back of my neck, I fast forwarded to information outlining the ways to reverse it. . As my daughter, Christine, commented, “There’s nothing more motivating than fear.” Such wisdom.
So how do I dump this near nightmare?

It’s clear. I need to increase my exercise and drop 5%to 10% of my body weight. Exercise is key, since it allows free floating insulin to be absorbed by my muscles.
It also provides the added advantage of speeding up my efforts of discarding of the extra 40 pounds I added after high school. Belly fat accompanies and contributes to prediabetes. And, sure enough, my waistline is way past go. UGH! That requires ab abuse. So where am I going with this ramble? Hang in there.
With my head popping with new information, I rolled my bike out of the house and on to the porch. Clunking it down the steps and out to the street, I hopped on and headed toward the beach.
While keeping my balance, I noted my knees were behaving so I began to peddle
faster. Hmmm. Not bad. I kept a close watch on the oncoming traffic and the potential for car doors opening smack into me.
Arriving at Ocean Boulevard, I glided down the hill and out to the bike path.

Knees were still fine so I increased my effort. I pedaled, pumped. Then glided while glancing toward a calm deep blue sea. A serene sense of gratitude washed over me. Inhaling I quickened my pace as my heart pumped faster and stronger. I approached a turn in the path and headed toward platform directly across from the Queen Mary. Stopping for a drink, I parked my bike and stretched out on the grass and took my pulse. Yep! It was working.

After I sat up to watch the sunlight glisten and almost skid across the water.I took note. My connection with exertion and nature was long past due. I had almost forgotten what a unique cocktail they provide. I drank slowly. Then a couple approached me and asked that I take a picture. I snapped them as they posed capturing one small moment a reward for our brief encounter. I took note again. Time slowed.
I got back on my bike and headed home. The sun warmed my body. As I reached, Second Street, I tilted the bike swerving it from one side of the road to the other. A memory over powered me. I could almost hear the click, clickety, click of discarded playing cards clothes pinned to the spokes. An Ace of Spades? A Heart? Certainly not a Club. This felt too good.
Contentment settled in as I rounded the corner and approached my home. Maybe this predicament shook me out of my complacency and sent me straight into the path of opportunity. Not a bad rap.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcome. Click on "comment" at the end of the posting and type your response.